Thursday, January 15, 2009

"That's so Post Modern of You"

LeCorbusier's Secretariat Building in Chandigarh, India
Just got back from my first class of Post-Modern Architecture. My brain is swirling with the vague definitions of Post-Modernism that were spewed at me from a 30 minute British documentary we watched about it. It's such a silly vague term that is only there because there is no other term for it.... sort of. I suppose its all about pluralism, an anything-goes type thing. All the previous styles and "ism"s are ok to use again, and are all jumbled together. An eclectic mish-mash. If that makes any sense at all.
Blah.
I do think LeCorbusier is really interesting though. We watched an hour long video about him, as well. Had no idea he planned an entire city in India -- Chandigarh. He designed all the buildings, and they were built BY HAND by the people of the city. Pretty cool. It looks so strange and out of place though among the land and people.

No comments:

Post a Comment